Patient Participation Group
We are pleased to say that we currently have a core of approximately 15 - 20 patients who have expressed an interest in being members of the group and are regular attendees at the meetings. This is supplemented by 4 non patient members who are the Practice Development Manager, the Practice Manager, GP and Admin lead.
The Aims of the Patient Participation Group
"To work with their practice to provide practical support, to help patients take more responsibility for their own health and to provide strategic input and advice. PPGs are based on cooperation between the practice staff and patients".
Purpose of a PPG
- To give practice staff and patients the opportunity to discuss topics of mutual interest in their own practice.
- A forum for patients and staff to improve and develop services within the practice by co-production.
- To provide an opportunity for patients to make positive and constructive suggestions/ideas about the practice and specific medical conditions as an 'expert' or 'experienced patient'.
- To encourage health education activities within the practice.
- To involve further patients from the wider population.
- To involve patient participation in future commissioning of Health Provision.
Benefits for the patient:
- Patients will be more responsible for their own health.
- Patients will have a better understanding and knowledge of the practice and its staff.
- This allows up to date information to be given to patients and will inform what decisions can be influenced and what cannot. It will also allow the practice staff to gain an understanding from the patient’s perspective. It may also be useful for the chair to have meetings with the Practice Manager on a regular basis or attend management meetings of the practice. This ensures that two way communications are achieved.
- Patients will have a forum to suggest positive ideas and voice concerns
- Patients will benefit from improved communications between patients and staff
Benefits for the Practice:
- GPs and their staff will be able to plan services jointly with patients in order to increase their effectiveness.
- They will be able to get help from patients in meeting targets and objectives.
- They will have a forum to voice concerns, ideas and suggestions to patients.
- They will get closer to the community for whom they care.
A common criticism of many PPGs is that they are not representative of the practice population. It is always going to be difficult to get a group that exactly reflects the demographics of our practice, and volunteer roles tend to attract those that have a certain level of confidence and free time, and have flexibility about working and earning money. However, a PPG is there to make sure that the patient voice is listened to and not necessarily always to be the voice itself. Therefore if you wish to volunteer please contact the General Manager of complete one of the forms in reception.
These are important as a point of reference for behaviour for when the group meets, and were agreed at the first couple of meetings. We agreed that the group should not be a forum for pursuing individual personal complaints or agendas, that patient confidentiality is of the utmost importance and that everyone on the PPG should be treated fairly, equally and with respect.
We aim to make the group as transparent as possible. We will publish minutes of every meeting on this website. At the members’ request their names have been removed and replaced with their initials but other than that the minutes are a true and accurate reflection of what was discussed and agreed.
We are striving to have a mix of the following people:
- Active volunteers – people with time and commitments to action decisions
- Interested professionals – the doctors and administrative staff who work within and know the system and can be co-opted onto the group as required
- Key supporters – people with influence within your locality, e.g. local councillors, community workers or business people who help raise the profile of the group, and improve the chances of your group finding financial or other forms of support
If you are happy for us to contact you occasionally by email please click the link below to open the sign-up form and complete all the fields.
If you would like to read the minutes of the past meetings, please click on the links below.
PPG Minutes of meeting dated 25/05/2016.
PPG Minutes of meeting dated 23/11/2016.
Complete the Patient Group Sign-up Form Online
If you prefer, you can download the sign up form as a pdf document, print it out, complete it and return it to the practice.
Download the pdf version of our sign up form
We will be in touch shortly after we receive your form. Please note that no medical information or questions will be responded to.
Many thanks for your assistance
The information you supply us will be used lawfully, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to know what information is held about you and sets out rules to make sure that this information is handled properly.